Mentor or Tutor a Student
If you are interested in becoming a mentor or tutor, please contact us to register for a training session. No special skills are needed. We request a commitment of one school year and anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour a week.
“It is one thing to stand before a classroom full of students and teach, or share, or listen. It is always the hope that you are reaching at least one. I have opted to reach my one through CIS. But the funny things is ~ I am the one that has gained and gleaned so much from my friendship with my student. So many are missing out on the potential to make a positive difference in a budding adult\’s life. Go ahead, get started, be the one to make a difference.” Kim Morgan Fink
Contact us at (704) 797-0210 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who Needs Volunteer Certification?
Volunteers requiring certification for Communities In Schools of Rowan County or Rowan-Salisbury Schools are unpaid individuals assisting with school children as:
- Lunch Buddies
- Over Night Field Trip Chaperones
- After-School Program
All Volunteers listed above must be trained and certified as a volunteer, as mandated by Communities In Schools of Rowan County and Rowan-Salisbury School System. Certification includes a Criminal Background Check, completion of the On-Line or Video “Recognizing and Responding to Suspicions of Child Maltreatment” training, and in-class training by Communities In Schools of Rowan County.
Steps to Volunteer Certification:
- Background Screening: Go to the following link https://bib.com/secureVolunteer/RSSS/ This will take you to the BIB website. On this site Scroll to bottom of page. Click on “I Want to Volunteer”, read the information and instructions provided, Click “Continue”. Provide all requested information. This step can also be completed the day of your in-person training.
- Child Abuse Prevention Training On-Line Course: https://www.preventchildabusenc.org/services/trainings-and-professional-development/rrcourse. Scroll to the bottom of the page and Click “Start Course”. Complete all questions asked. Take the course. You will be given a test at the end of the course; you must pass the course with a minimum grade of 80%. Print the “Certification of Completion of the On-Line Child Protection Course”. This course will take about 2 hours. You can also take the Child Abuse Prevention Course the day of your in-person training.
- Volunteer Processing Form: Download this form Here: Volunteer Processing Form. Open, print and complete this form. You will need to take this form to the school at which you wish to volunteer for the principal’s signature. Bring this signed form with you to training.
- Communities in Schools Training Registration: Below you will find the currently scheduled training for the school year 2017-2018. Select a date/location for training. At least 7 days prior to selected training date, Email CIS at email@example.com, giving name and selected training date to register.
- CIS Training Day: Attend your selected training session. Bring with you the following: A photocopy of your current driver’s license, the “Certification of Completion of the On-line Course” (above) if you have completed this on-line, and the completed “Volunteer Processing Form” (link indicated above). During the CIS Training you will complete additional volunteer forms. Please allow 2 hours for training
Adult volunteers are needed throughout the Rowan-Salisbury School System. Please go the RSSS Website, click on the MENU/COMMUNITY/VOLUNTEERS for more information to Volunteer in the Schools of Rowan County.
Communities In Schools Current Volunteer Training Dates
Once you have selected a training date, email CISRowanVolunteerTraining@Hotmail.com with your name and choice of training date. Unless Otherwise indicated, all training will be in the Gateway Building, 204 East Innes Street, Salisbury, 28144.
10/18/2017 – 9 AM
10/18/2017 – 2 PM
10/23/2017 – 2 PM
10/26/2017 – 9 AM
11/1/2017 - 10 AM
11/1/2017 - 1 PM
11/7/2017 - 2 PM
11/9/2017 - 9 AM
11/13/2017 - 2 PM
11/16/2017 - 9 AM
11/29/2017 - 10 AM
11/29/2017 - 1 PM
12/4/2017 - 2 PM
12/8/2017 - 9 AM
12/12/2017 - 9 AM
12/14/2017 - 2 PM
1/9/2018 - 2 PM
1/12/2018 - 9 AM
1/17/2018 - 10 AM
1/17/2018 - 1 PM
1/23/2018 - 2 PM
1/25/2018 - 9 AM
1/29/2018 - 2 PM
1/30/2018 - 9 AM
More Dates will be added throughout the year. Please view our website for more trainings